Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bug reporting!

Last week I joined Bugzilla so now instead of just complaining about bugs I can actually meaningfully contribute to a community by submitting bug reports! Here is my first submitted bug! Firefox rendered triangles in a weird way when compared to Chrome. The task set upon me by the Firefox gods is thus: produce a reduced test case.

SO, now it's time for me to brush up on my Javascript skills! It's certainly a new experience for me, using javascript for anything other than client-side validation. I was definitely not aware of just how useful and complex Javascript can be. How fun!

Also quite surprising to me was just how quickly I received responses from the Mozilla devs. Like, instantly my inbox was on fire with emails regarding this bug.

I'm 3 weeks into this class, and it's been very cool. If there are any other CPA students reading this, I strongly urge you to take this class in the future. Obviously other classes teach useful skills, but OSD600 actually connects you with a real development environment and with people who are in the industry working on important things. We also get the opportunity to work on bleeding edge web technology that people need and want. The work you'll do in this class will actually set your resume apart. Seriously, take this class.


-Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment